The Tech Desk, located inside the Learning Hub @ Lathrop, is staffed with friendly and knowledgeable Stanford students who are ready to help you. Whether you need equipment, want to use a recording studio, pick up a poster, or edit a media project, the Tech Desk has you covered.
Tech Desk Services
The Tech Desk has a variety of media-production and computer-related equipment—everything from DSLRs and microphones to iPads and USB-C adapters. Most equipment is due back by 5pm the following business day, but some is available for extended checkout. The Tech Desk Borrowing Agreement must be signed before you can borrow or reserve equipment.
The Tech Desk offers on-site poster printing for conference presentations and class projects. Prices start at $55 (plus tax) for a poster size of up to 44 by 44 inches. Order your poster online at acomp.stanford.edu shop. The typical turnaround time for non-rush jobs is three business days, After printing, posters are available for pickup at the Tech Desk during open hours.
- Adobe Acrobat (PDF)
- Adobe Photoshop (PSD)
- Standard Graphical Formats (TIF, JPG, PNG)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (PPT)
- Our printer uses paper rolls that are 44 inches wide. Design your poster so that at least one dimension is 44 inches or less.
- For images, use a resolution between 150-300 dpi.
- Keep your file size as low as possible while maintaining image quality.
- Prices start at $55 (plus tax) for a poster with dimensions up to 44 by 44 inches or less.
- Rush printing may be available for an additional $25 (plus tax). Call the Tech Desk during our open hours to see if rush printing is available.
- No refunds or reprints are given for errors in or issues related to a poster file. Check your document carefully for correct spelling, alignment, layout, and appropriate-resolution graphics prior to submission.
*Fees are subject to change as costs change.
- The standard turnaround time for non-rush jobs is three business days.
- For an additional $25 (plus tax), rush printing may be available. Call the Tech Desk during our open hours to see if a rush job is possible. Turnaround time for rush printing is four hours or fewer.
- To check the status of your print, call the Tech Desk during our open hours.
- After printing, posters are available for pickup at the Tech Desk during open hours.
- As a courtesy, one of our staff members will trim off the margins of your poster after printing if requested at time of pickup. (Posters longer than 60 inches cannot be trimmed.)
- A free 48-inch mailing tube may be available at time of pickup.
- Once a poster has been picked up, no refunds or reprints will be issued.
- Completed posters left unclaimed for more than 30 days may be discarded without notice, unless you have made other arrangements in advance.
Need help designing your poster? Check out the Poster Design section of the Resources page.
Tech Desk Support
Getting Started with Digital Media Production
Tech Desk student staff members are trained in the basic use of digital media equipment and software. If you need a quick orientation on how to use a camera or how to get started editing a video, just ask!
We have guides on how to use a variety of the equipment in the Learning Hub. In addition, we encourage students to take advantage of Stanford’s subscription to Lynda.com, which has a wealth of instructional videos on digital media production as well as other topics. Be sure to go through https://uit.stanford.edu/service/lynda to authenticate with your SUNet ID in order to access the subscription.
Tech Desk and other VPTL student staff members periodically offer workshops in the Learning Hub. Keep an eye on our homepage or ask when you visit the Tech Desk.